Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Dmitri Hvorostovsky adds two concerts to schedule

Dmitri Hvorostovsky
Two new concerts have appeared on the website of Siberian barihunk Dmitri Hvorostovsky, who the Associated Press had recently reported was canceling all performances for the coming season due to “severe illness.”

First up will be a September 22nd recital at the Romanian Athenaeum in Bucharest, Romania, which is already sold out. The concert features a collections of Russian songs, including music by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Borodin and Anton Rubinstein. This will be followed by a September 26th recital with regular collaborator Ivari Ilja at the Moscow Conservatoire. No details are given on the website. His last program with him included music by Glinka, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky and Richard Strauss, with a poignant encore of "Farewell, happiness."

Hvorostovsky was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2015. He was due to play leading roles in Verdi's Un ballo in maschera, Otello and Rigoletto in Vienna this year and next, but canceled those engagements. He also withdrew from performances of the Met's production of Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, where he was replaced by fellow barihunks Peter Mattei and Mariusz Kwiecien. In April, he did make an appearance in Toronto with Anna Netrebko and Yusif Eyvazov.

2 comments:

  1. I remember I went to see him live in California and since I am also a baritone working hard to sing like him one day (in my own unique voice of course) he was my favorite singer. I went to security an hour before performance to ask the proper channels just to shake his hand and thank him. I was told all is well and that I would be allowed to and to come back to his green room after the performance. I was very glad and enjoyed the performance and when I went afterwards to greet him the guy at the door said no flat out. And I told im I was OK'd and they just denied it. The f-ed up part is these other b-itches were walking in like nothing so it's not like he was in a hurry to leave. I wished he would lose his voice just for being a real piece of $h!t to someone who was the only person there asking for permission to shake his hand. When the show was over nobody tried to even find him. They all left. I was the only one there at that moment and he must have thought he was hot $h!t to bother with someone like me. A few years later and now folks are saying my voice is far larger than his (those that know his voice live). I guess I never needed his f-cking handshake. Fu`k him.

    ReplyDelete