Saturday, May 16, 2009

Peter Mattei in Onegin and Don Giovanni

This post is in response to the numerous demands for the Swedish baritone Peter Mattei. We've been reluctant to post him, but he is particularly sexy in the Onegin clip and sings quite beautifully.

Mattei studied at the Royal Music and Opera Academies in Stockholm and made his début in "La finta giardiniera" at the Drottningholm Court Theatre in 1990. He has appeared in leading rôles in The Bacchae (with Ingmar Bergman), Die Zauberflöte, The Maid of Orléans, Don Carlos, Yevgeny Onegin, Le nozze di Figaro, Il barbiere di Siviglia, Don Giovanni, La Bohème, Tannhäuser, and L’elisir d’amore at the Royal Swedish Opera.

He has recently sung both Giovanni and Onegin, but we're looking forward to his Billy Budd in Frankfurt in next year.




This site can be contacted at barihunks@gmail.com

Subscribe to Barihunks by Email
___________________________________________________

7 comments:

  1. Reluctant to post Mattei?? why reluctant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally!

    And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and one other thing. Mattei sang "Billy Budd" last season in Frankfurt; it is the only Billy he has sung to date. His calendar this season included the spring "Giovanni" at the Met (I attended all 4 performances), Pizarro in a concert staging of "Fidelio" at Salzburg (which will be repeated at the Proms), a War Requiem, and a return to the Met for "The House of the Dead" in the fall.

    He is a cautious singer which, IMHO, is a good thing. After a lot of baritones have wrecked their voices doing too much and/or too soon, Mattei will be going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wrong about him being cautious but it could do no hard if he published his calendar on the web for his fans to know where to hear him live (worth travelling for, I understood...).

    There has been no info about his Mozart recital in Baden-Baden this June (or that it would be live on Arte!) or Bach in Bergen (Norway). I found out that he's going to sing "Giovanni" and "The House of the Dead" in La Scala next Spring but I haven't found the "War Requiem" - where and when is it supposed to be ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why were you reluctant to post Peter Mattei? He has such a gorgeous lyric voice. I truly appreciate your posting the clip of his "Deh vieni alla finestra". I do own a recording of his "Don Giovanni", but I'm particularly glad others will get to hear this aria on your blog. It has great sentimental appeal for me. Peter sang this aria on stage in Cincinnati to my daughter, who played Dona Elvira's servant girl. I remember being blown away by the beauty of his voice. My daughter was 13 at the time of the performance and has grown up to become a lyric soprano who works in musical theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite late to comment. But I join my comrades. Indeed, why reluctant ??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reluctant??? He's the BEST Don Giovanni EVER!!! (and, may I say, everything I've heard him sing was flawless) Great Figaro, Great Onegin, Great Amfortas... and the list could cover all his roles. I'm still amazed each time by such an insanely beautiful beautiful voice!!

    ReplyDelete